Getting Guelph Moving
April 4, 2019
One of the most important priorities as the MP for Guelph has been to help get our city, especially through improvements to public transit.
In 2015, the Liberal Party committed to investing in public transit infrastructure. We delivered on that promise with more than $180 billion in infrastructure funding over 12 years for public transit, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, transportation that supports trade, and Canada’s rural and northern communities.
In 2017, the Liberal government delivered $9.6 million for the City of Guelph to improve public transit.
These investments mean:
- $7,370,770 for transit bus replacement, including 24 conventional buses and 9 specialized vehicles;
- $1,300,000 for replacing fare boxes on all buses to improve efficiency, reduce potential for fraud and missed fares, and automate validation of student passes (U-pass) and transfers;
- $363,221 to upgrade 132 bus stops to ensure multi-route stops have shelters and, where possible, all stops are accessible;
- $147,500 for developing a Transportation Master Plan for Guelph that addresses all modes of transportation including transit, vehicular transportation, active transportation and trails;
- $500,000 for upgrading the traffic signal control system that coordinates traffic signals along major streets. This involves replacing two outdated systems with a new system that will reduce traffic congestion and delays and enable transit signal priority.
Efficient and sustainable public transit plays an important role in making our communities great places to live, work, and raise a family.
Click here to join our campaign so together we can #KeepGuelphMoving and #KeepGuelphGrowing